Tuesday, November 29, 2016

What is CrossFit All About?

What's CrossFit All About? 




After learning he had a heart muscle disease, Caleb Burton struggled to find a balance between managing his condition and maintaining his health. Joining CrossFit KMC has helped Caleb improve his overall health and wellness.

Could you share a bit about your health journey?

At age 14, I was diagnosed with and hospitalized for cardiomyopathy. Thank God the doctors found it in time to save my life. It wasn't until years later I realized how blessed I am.
That diagnosis kept me from exercise for several years as I was restricted by doctors. That led to a bit of depression because at that time I was very active in full-contact kung fu.
After high school, I started working construction and eating a lot of unhealthy fast food for convenience and living an unhealthy lifestyle. I didn't really notice my unhealthy weight gain until my oldest daughter was born. (She's now 8, and I got married nine months after her birth.)
While looking at wedding pictures, I could see that I had gained weight, and I wasn't happy with what I saw. It was at that point I decided to clean up my eating and start exercising so that I could be healthy for my family. I got the go-ahead from my doctors and went back to kung fu as a means of exercise.
After eight years, I earned my second-degree black belt. Then, as my daughters got older, life started to get too busy for that full-time commitment, so I transitioned from that to basic weight training and Beachbody® programs to stay active and fit.

What does "wellness" mean to you?

Wellness to me means overall health, inside and out, both spiritually and physically.

Have your ideas of health and wellness changed at all?

I used to think wellness was simply being bigger, faster and stronger. Now I realize how important diet and training is for overall health.

How has Kirby helped you with your health goals?

KMC has been a great experience from the start. The non-competitive and non-intimidating classes and people are great to work out with. I feel like we all share the same goals. The classes are challenging but scalable to your ability, so you get out of it what you put into it. The 5am class is perfect, as for years I have preferred early morning workouts so I have no excuse to miss it. The group setting pushes me to push myself harder and have no excuses. The coaches are all great. Casey is typically my coach, and he does an awesome job with coaching everyone in class. He inspires me to be a better athlete.

What would you say to others who are interested in getting involved?

Get started and quit making excuses. KMC offers convenient class times every day of the week. I assure you, once you start, you will have no regrets.

Any other words of wisdom for us?


Eat clean, train hard, don't make excuses and thank God for your blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment