Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Breast Cancer Awareness

Breast Cancer Awareness 



Our thoughts, prayers and best wishes are with Tanya Bowsher, a Kirby Medical Group nurse practitioner who is currently battling breast cancer. Tanya's experience reminds us all of the importance of prevention and wellness screenings, including breast self-exams and mammograms.
Tanya describes her experience:
"My cancer was found by myself in the shower in March when I felt a lump. I went in to work that day and was examined and had a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound that afternoon. My mammogram showed two suspicious masses that were later confirmed to be invasive ductal carcinoma.
This was a huge shock in my life. I had just turned 40 in January and hadn't even gotten a mammogram yet. I had no family history of breast cancer. After careful consideration, I opted to have a double mastectomy in April followed by chemo and radiation. At least that was the plan at that time.
In June, I started to have a lot of pain in my right shoulder blade and had a PET scan. That is when the game changed. Instead of having Stage II breast cancer, I now was diagnosed with Stage IV.
I am no longer a candidate for radiation as there is no benefit in metastatic disease. I am now finished with chemotherapy and am recovering from those side effects. I have started on anti-hormone therapy and will be monitored closely by my oncologist for any progression in the disease.
Prior to my diagnosis, I only knew basics about breast cancer. I have learned so much in the last seven months. The number one thing I did not realize was there is no cure for Stage IV breast cancer, but hopefully with research and trials we can change that very soon."

A benefit and several fundraisers are being held for her by her friends, coworkers and family to help with medical costs. The quilt raffle tickets can be purchased until Friday, December 9th.


To view Tanya's Kirby Medical Group provider bio video CLICK HERE.





No comments:

Post a Comment